Bell Baxter High School
Ad Vitam Paror
The rising numbers created problems with accommodation and several huts had to be built. The idea of an entirely new building was proposed and eventually work started on a new site beside Carslogie Road. The new building, the present day location of Bell Baxter was opened on 8th October 1962, but the old Westport building still continued in existence, with pupils and teachers travelling between the two schools.
In 1966 Dr. Dunlop retired and was succeeded by Dr. Alexander McLaren. In 1980 the school roll topped 2000 pupils for the first time. Dr. McLaren retired in 1984 to be replaced by Douglas Campbell. It had always been the intention that the school should be on one site and with this in mind, the 1962 building was rebuilt and extended, the whole school going on to one site in 2002. In 2007 Douglas Campbell retired with the present rector, Philip Black, taking the helm.
Our thanks go to Mr D. Dallas, a former pupil and current member of staff, for compiling this history.
The school continued to expand and by the late 1920’s the existing accommodation was inadequate. New buildings were erected to the west and north of the original 1890 building and were officially opened on 30th June 1932. By 1933 the roll of Bell Baxter had risen to 628 pupils. In 1937 William Douglas retired and was succeeded as rector by George Farquarson. Unfortunately he died 8 years later in 1945 and in 1946 Dr. James Dunlop took over. It was Dr. Dunlop who devised the school motto in 1949, Ad Vitam Paror. In 1950 the roll of the school topped 1000 for the first time.
|Latest News & Events|
|2016/2017 Achievements and Events|
|News from the Rector|
|Bell Baxter Diary|
|Vision, Values and Aims|
|Learning Beyond the Classroom|
|National Parent Forum|
|Pupil Absence Notification|
|Reporting & Assessment|
|PE Kit 2|
|Study Support Programme|