Bell Baxter High School
Ad Vitam Paror
textile manufacturer in Dundee. Baxter was a philanthropist and gave to Dundee benefactions like Baxter Park and the Albert Institute. At this time he lived just outside Cupar at Kilmaron Castle.
Dr. Andrew Bell (1753 – 1832) was born in St Andrews and subsequently travelled to Virginia, U.S.A. as a tobacco planter. In 1787 he journeyed to India and worked as a superintendent at a military orphanage educating soldier’s children. In addition, he furthered his business interests and became a wealthy man. He found suitable teachers hard to find and developed the monitor system whereby senior pupils educated the younger pupils, a cheap form of education, naming this method the Madras System. He returned home in 1796, promoted the Madras System and by the time of his death in 1832, there were thousands of schools using this system.
He left endowments for two schools in his native Fife, Madras Academy in St Andrews and Cupar Academy (now renamed Madras Academy) in Cupar. He was buried in Westminster Abbey.
The Madras Academy in Cupar did not use the Madras System as it had fallen out of favour by the mid 19th century. However, Dr. Bell’s trust continued to provide funds for the school. In 1872 elementary education was made compulsory for all children between the ages of 5 and 13 and, as a result, it was decided to re-organise the schools in Cupar. The main proposal was that the building in Westport used by the Baxter Institute should be handed over to Cupar for secondary education and that money from Dr. Bell’s trust would be used to finance the new school. Accordingly, it was decided to name the new school “Bell Baxter”, this name being used officially for the first time on the 28th May 1889.
Since the existing Baxter building in Westport was too small, the building was extended and on 1st September 1890 the new building opened as Bell Baxter School: this date can be seen carved in the stonework on the front of the Westport building. The first headmaster was Dr. Peter McDougall responsible for the 200 pupils enrolled. In 1903 a new headmaster was appointed, John Dawson and in 1919 he was succeeded by William Douglas. These headmasters gave their names to the present house system, Dawson and Douglas along with Bell and Baxter; the school created the houses of Howe and Westport in 2013.
Although schools had existed in Cupar from as far back as the 14th century, Bell Baxter as a school did not come into existence until 1890, taking its name from two individuals, Dr. Andrew Bell and Sir David Baxter. Bell and Baxter had been responsible for funding two separate schools in Cupar prior to this date.
On the 18th September 1871, a new school was opened at Westport, The Baxter Institute for Young Ladies, designed to provide “young ladies with a high class education.” This school was funded by Sir David Baxter (1793 – 1872), a
|Latest News & Events|
|2016/2017 Achievements and Events|
|News from the Rector|
|Bell Baxter Diary|
|Vision, Values and Aims|
|Learning Beyond the Classroom|
|National Parent Forum|
|Pupil Absence Notification|
|Reporting & Assessment|
|PE Kit 2|
|Study Support Programme|